Investigators analysed pills taken from the late musician’s Paisley Park estate and found that some of them contained the synthetic opioid, which is 50 times more powerful than heroin.
As the Guardian reports, the pills were in bottles falsely labelled as “Watson 385”, a stamp used to identify pills containing a mix of acetaminophen and hydrocone.
While most of the pills were found in bottles of Vitamin C and aspirin in suitcases and bags, some were also found in Prince’s dressing room in his home.
Prince reportedly had some of these pills with him a week before his death, when a plane he was on made an emergency stop in Moline, Illinois. The star was suspected to be suffering from a drug overdose and was given two doses of Narcan, an opioid that reverses the effects of opioid overdose, according to an official.
Prince had no prescriptions for controlled substances in the state of Minnesota at the time of his death. Authorities are investigating how he got the drugs that killed him.